keep children safe online
You can check that a game is age appropriate by checking its rating. Video games are given age ratings depending on content by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). Ratings are as follows:
• Education is the most effective tool to help your children deal with cyber bullying. Some tips:
• Understanding the motives can stop bullying. Start by teaching them to recognize the four profiles of cyber bullies and their motives (See also “What is cyber bullying and who are the bullies?”).
• Ask your child about incidences of bullying in their school to see what they know.
Microsoft is a pioneer in gaming consoles -- Xbox LIVE is still the benchmark in online gaming. The company has also created an Xbox Live code of conduct page, which lists dos, don’ts, consequences and general precautions. The JustAskGemalto team reviewed Microsoft’s safety tips and highlighted six:
Xbox offers settings to help you customize your children's access to games, videos and the Xbox LIVE online entertainment service. These tools let you:
The Nintendo Wii offers parental controls for individual video game playing. You may choose the 'highest rated video game' you want your children to play. The ratings are based on those of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) and include Early Childhood through Mature-rated games. The default setting allows all to be played. You can learn more about the ESRB ratings from: How can I tell which video games are age appropriate for my children? When connected to the Internet, children can be restricted from:
• Start by reading the tips about kids’ online safety on JustAskGemalto.
• Familiarize yourself with some of the popular sites for kids in their
• Encourage your child to come to you with concerns or questions.
• Never include physical location in status updates.
• Chat only with people you know in the real world.