Can I use my driver’s license to drive a car in another country?

If you live in a European Community/European Economic Area member state, you can use your driver's license in other member states. If you don't live in EC/EEA member state, or if you are traveling to a non-member state, and want to drive, check with an automotive agency in that country to see if you are required to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP). The IDP is recognized by over 150 countries, and is a special license for tourists, authorized by a UN treaty, to allow motorists to drive vehicles in international traffic without any tests or applications. It is like your driver's license, but contains your information in multiple languages and contains a photo.

In the UK, IDPs are issued by the Automobile Association (The AA), Royal Automobile Club (RAC), RSAC and Green Flag Motoring Assistance Recovery Club. In the United States, the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance's National Automobile Club are able to issue IDPs. In Australia, IDPs are issued through State and Territory Motoring Clubs. If you live in a country other than these, check with your local motor vehicle agency to find out how to obtain an IDP.

Rate this tip: 
  • My comment
  • Comments [0]

Add new comment

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

No comments available

If you do not findthe answer you're looking for...

Ask your question