I am overseas and my passport was stolen (or lost), who do I call first?

The U.S. Department of State recommends you first report a lost or stolen passport to the local police in the area in which the loss or theft occurred.  Then immediately contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate from this list.  In order to protect yourself from identity fraud it is important to report a lost or stolen passport immediately.  Start the replacement passport process as soon as possible.  (Also see, How do I get an emergency replacement passport if I am traveling?)  If you find it after reporting it lost or stolen, it is invalid once reported as missing and can no longer be used for travel.  

For more information, visit the US embassy website 
Rate this tip: 
  • My comment
  • Comments [0]

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Enter the characters shown in the image.

No comments available

If you do not findthe answer you're looking for...

Ask your question