If your email has been hacked, there are several steps you can take to regain control of your account.
• First, change your password and make it strong (See, How do I choose a good password?).
• Also change any security questions you have associated with this account. A good rule of thumb with security questions is to not answer them honestly, so the answers are harder to guess. If the question asks the name of your first dog, answer with your favorite song, for example.
• Then, change the passwords of all of your other accounts associated with this email address
• Next, contact the people in your address book, let them know your account has been hacked and not to respond to any emails with strange links, or those that are requesting money.
• Lastly, report the cybercrime to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, an organization formed by the FBI, the National White Collar Crime Center and the Bureau of Justice Assistance that specializes in cyber threats.